Position: Account Manager – Employee Benefits
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Director of Operations
Risk Cooperative is a specialized strategy, risk and insurance advisory firm licensed to originate, place and service insurance solutions in all 50 states, D.C., and Puerto Rico. Risk Cooperative helps organizations address risk, readiness and resilience through a comprehensive suite of service offerings. As one to the leading, innovative, and entrepreneurial firms in the industry, we are seeking highly motivated and team-oriented individuals to join our fast-growing firm.
The Account Manager, Employee Benefits role works collaboratively across all divisions to help meet company objectives, with a particular focus on employee benefits clients. The Account Manager coordinates and provides day-to-day service for their designated book of business, by maintaining client relationships, supporting client retention, maintaining strong carrier relationships and a good understand of the client’s needs. The Account Manager services as the primary contact and provides resolution for client questions and issues. This role serves a critical function and supports overall company operations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Manages a book of insurance business, while acting with a high degree of independent discretion, autonomy, and decision-making.
• Provides professional, courteous service to clients, carrier representatives, underwriters, business partners, and colleagues, to deliver a rate of account retention that meets or exceeds expectations.
• Leads account rounding and cross selling efforts for assigned book of business.
• Leads client service, marketing, and renewal processes for assigned book of business.
• Provides support to Account Executives in obtaining, maintaining, and expanding new business opportunities.
• Oversees the preparation and implementation of all transactions, paperwork, and internal processing for assigned accounts.
• Leads benefits renewals and open enrollments for assigned book of business.
• Acquires understanding of clients’ insurance objectives and critically analyses and compares insurance plans to best meet their needs.
• Stays abreast of changes in the insurance industry and other external conditions that may impact their clients and makes appropriate recommendations in response to those changes.
• Acts as liaison between clients and insurance carriers to resolve escalated complex service issues that require policy interpretation and experience-based judgment to resolve. May also negotiate with underwriters and carriers.
• Troubleshoots billing and service-related issues.
• Responsible for overall retention of accounts in assigned book of business.
• Appropriately documents conversations with clients and carrier representatives and updates all computer systems and automated agency management systems when necessary. Ensures the accuracy of data in those systems.
• Prepares reports for management as required.
• Attends industry related continuing education training and courses.
• Collaborates and supports colleagues as needed, as well as contributes to continuous operational improvements, service standards and excellence.
• Performs other duties and projects as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Teamwork – Thrives in a highly collaborative environment, supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
• Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
• Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
• Quality Management – Demonstrates high attention to detail.
• Project Management – Ability to lead projects independently and adhere to deadlines.
Professional Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher
• Minimum 2 years+ account management or relationship management experience in insurance.
• Minimum 2 years+ employee benefits and group medical insurance experience.
• Life and Health insurance license Required.
• P&C insurance license desired but not required.
• Strong knowledge of Employee Navigator, Agency Management Systems, and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Legally able to work in United States.
Compensation: Base salary plus bonus potential
Company Benefits Offerings
Risk Cooperative offers a suite of benefits that help team members safeguard health, plan for their future and promote professional development and growth. Our benefits include:
• 100% employer paid health insurance, life, disability, dental, and vision insurance.
• Paid holidays, vacation, personal days and sick time.
• Flexible schedule and leave policy.
• Fitness center access.
• Company provided cell phone.
• Professional development and mentoring programs.